During spring and summer, DC Metro home sales begin to surge. If you are one of the many homeowners looking to sell your home, there are several things you can do to get it ready. It can be beneficial to go beyond the basic prep – like improving curb appeal, staging, and cosmetic fixes. Another way to increase value is with electrical upgrades.
Electrical Work to Help Your Home Sell Faster
Today’s world is busy, and homebuyers are often looking for move-in ready dwellings. They also want homes that optimize efficiency, convenience, and comfort. Here are five electrical projects that can add to the appeal and value:
- Upgrade indoor lighting
– Lighting has become a main focal point within homes. In new homes, architects and contractors work to create exceptional lighting within each space. If your home is older, upgrade with new fixtures, LED bulbs, and by adding task lighting. An experienced electrician can help you with design.
- Upgrade outdoor lighting
– Although people still have yards, they are now considered an extension of your living space. As an outdoor living space, you need lighting. Walkways, seating areas, and other important features benefit from added lighting. You can design to create scenes, for security and safety, or for both.
- Upgrade your electrical panel – Whether you live in Capitol Hill, Petworth, or another DC Metro neighborhood, chances are your home is older. While energy saving products are on the rise, many homes still require more power than in the past. Updating your electrical panel not only optimizes power to meet that demand, but can prevent the risks that come with outdated panels.
- Add smart technology – According to a survey by Better Homes and Gardens, the next generation of homeowners (those 35 and younger) see homes with smart technology and automation both valuable and a good investment. Of course, smart technology is becoming more widely accepted for all ages, which is why adding some smart features before selling your home can be beneficial. Two of the most in-demand smart home features are smart security (like cameras, sensors, and door locks), and smart lighting. Security often topped the list. In an article by Forbes, it was stated, Icontrol Networks conducted a survey and found that over 90% of respondents said that home and family security would be a top reason for them to purchase a connected home or adopt a smart home lifestyle. Using an electrician with smart home training will help you add compatible technology.
- Update plate covers – Older homes often have outdated styling. One small change that can make a big impact is updating plate covers. Outlets and switches can be quickly modernized. The selection available to today’s homeowners matches numerous styles and design schemes.
Schedule Electrical Work Before Listing
Home improvement projects take off in the spring, which makes it crucial to schedule your electrical work as early as possible. If you plan on selling your DC Metro home in the near future, call your electrician to talk about the scope of work, and get on their schedule today.